downloads in pdf
Noto, 27 giugno 2017
The residency will take place during the following periods:
- full(Y)_grounding 8th January - 25th February 2018
Open Call: 27th June 2016 - Deadline for submitting applications: 18th September 2017; finalist proclamation October 20th, proclaiming winners at the end of November at the Macro in Rome
Artists and curators are invited to send a contemporary art project in consonance with the topic: Confine di contatto / Contact boundary
The term “contact boundary” appeared for the first time in 1951 in “Gestalt Therapy: Excitement and Growth in the Human Personality” by Fritz Perls. It identifies the contact point between the man and the environment, the constantly evolving and transforming border where the relation me-you in the here and now takes place.
The individual and the social group are not stand-alone-entities but separated parts of the same unity in mutual interaction*. The tension that can exist between them is not an expression of a conflict but the necessary movement of a field, which strives for integration and growth. The contact boundary is the place where interaction takes place, where to stay with your open senses because it is where life must be looked for, in the organicistic experience of entering in – and of retiring from – the contact. On contact boundary, place of shared experience, the figure breaks off the background, takes shape and differentiates, sustained by a vital force, which allows to deconstruct and reconstruct the reality in an absolute creative and unique way. So, a full presence in the contact boundary is the basic condition to solve the concrete problems in human relations and the basic instrument of knowledge between organism and environment.
The need of experiencing then becomes creative adaptation, which allows every being to adapt to reality and at the same time to transform it developing an ability/skill to be with the new, the unexpected, with what is dynamic and changing on the contact boundary. To this end, the boundaries between the human being and all that he/she perceives as foreign aim at resulting arbitrary because they are the result of the discriminatory will of the subject, prepared - or not - to have a contact or to retire from the other, on the base of the consciousness of him/herself.
Therefore, the boundary also reproduces that limit beyond which, perceiving the invasion of Our Inner Self, we feel threatened. The more our identity is weak, fragmented, dominated by insecurity, prejudice and fear, the more it feels its boundary as feeble and permeable and, in order to defend itself, it retires in a metaphorical fortress, built on stereotypes, hostility, exclusion. The boundaries, then, are geopolitical and concrete as the borders, the walls, the ditches, but also interior, personal and collective.
The South-East of Sicily, the most southern part of Europe – border between two continents, a land of conquest for centuries, which keeps under every step hidden treasures and relics of disappeared civilizations, where botanical and animal species mix generating unique life forms, yet today place of landing of the most important Western migratory flows – offers itself physically and metaphysically as a contact boundary, occasion, with its complexity and seriousness, of new adaptive strategies, where the assumption of responsibilities by every individual becomes essential in order to create his/her life project in the world.
It is an opportunity to have a different look on future, the invitation to a positive revision of the traità (the relationship between beings), trust in a surprising overturning of the figure-ground perspective.
*Margherita Spagnolo Lobb, “The now for next in psychotherapy”, Ed. Franco Angeli
Bridge Art residencies take place in Noto, UNESCO World-Heritage site, at Tenuta La Favola, a zero environmental impact wine-producing holding, which for years has been on the cutting edge of organic production techniques. Residencies are part of a wider art project aiming to create a hotbed and laboratory of artistic experimentation on the most recent researches of the contemporary, in a site concerned with environmental issues and sustainability in order to create, not just metaphorically, a multicultural platform which turns into a bridge between foreign and Italian realities. The selected artists will be able to meet, explore, contaminate, find one another and become a community, absorbing the influences of the place and fostering a creative path. This path opens and is opened to new considerations, proposals and influences, to exchange and integration, to the continuous and profitable renewal of ideas that can be at the same time an opportunity for growth and human, artistic and economic development.
BRIDGE ART residencies aim to:
1. promote and incentivize national and international exchanges for artists and curators;
2. facilitate the contacts of residential artists with the territorial realities (schools, institutes, universities, associations, authorities, etc.) in order to activate cultural contaminations and new opportunities and, at the same time, to open the host communities to the shared knowledge and fruition of contemporary art;
3. offer a place for work, research and observation;
4. put into contact artists and curators from different cultural origins, with the aim of increasing the occasions of dialogue and experience exchanges;
Residences will take place at Casetta degli Artisti, inside one of the experimental organic fields of Tenuta La Favola, in the southernmost part of Sicily. The Casetta is an ancient rock millstone house (a place for processing the grapes in order to turn them into must), entirely recovered by maintaining the original structure made of stone walls, wooden roofs, Sicilian terracotta floor and walls painted with natural pigments. The structure of about 50 sq. m. consists of a room with a living corner equipped with two single beds and a double bed, a separated kitchen and a toilet. Some work places have been set outside.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE SELECTED ARTISTS
There are not age, nationality, ethnical or religious restrictions. The applicants admitted to the residencies will be selected according to the
a) Artistic career
b) Valorisation of the multicultural presence in the project
c) Quality of the project proposal
d) Coherence of the project with the topic and the principles of the residence
e) Ability to relate with the local contexts.
The selection will take into account only those participants who have taken part in the open call.
For the evaluation the quality and originality of the project will be especially took into consideration. The project has to be submitted by a) curators who will indicate the participant artists; b) self-application of artists working both individually or in team, who will indicate the possible curator.
A panel of judges will assess the selected projects. This panel, chaired by Bridge Art Directorate (Lori Adragna - Art critic and Artistic director - and Valeria Valenza - Director), is renewed annually and will be made up by some members of the Bridge Art Scientific Committee and other experts in the various fields of arts and culture.
Bridge Art reserves the opportunity to invite guest artists and curators to take part into meetings, talks, debates and lectures. If necessary - for foreign guests - Bridge Art can write an invitation letter to support the selected residents for obtaining specific funds.
The participation to the selection process is free.
Each applicant has to present the following documents:
1. Application form duly filled and signed
2. Photocopy of a valid identity document
3. A pdf file of around 1800 characters filled out as follows:
A) Text describing the project which the artist intends to realize during the residency period
B) A short description of the work that the candidate intends to leave at Tenuta la Favola and that will become part of the museum park as Bridge Art Heritage
C) Images of the artistic work (2/4 images, 2MB at most)
D) CV and possibly links to a website (1 page at most)
Applications related to residencies have to be submitted not later than the terms established in the call. The material mentioned above has to be send by email to the address email@example.com specifying the residence in the object.
ALL THE DOCUMENTS HAVE TO BE PRESENTED IN PDF FORMA
Casetta degli Artisti will be at disposal to the full(Y)_grounding residency from 8th January to 25th February 2018.
The residency will lead the artists through expeditions into the vast environmental, cultural, historical and archaeological patrimony of the area of Siracusa and Ragusa, accompanied by researches on field and shared observations. Meetings and confrontation paths between artists and experts of various sectors (archaeologists, curators, journalists, writers, historians, biodiversity experts, local artists, etc.) will be fostered.
Guests from the residency full(Y) grounding are granted with:
- Accommodation at Casetta degli Artisti
- Use of car
- € 500.00 per month contribution to cover travel, food, materials and gasoline expenses. In particular cases and after prior notification and acceptance by the Directorate, extra expenses for travels abroad and the production of works will be also refunded
- Outdoor spaces for creative experiences integrated with the natural environment
- Equipment, facilities and materials of the Tenuta, if expressly authorized
- Wide spreading of the results of the residencies through both printed material and the Internet (web site, social networks and periodicals of the sector).
- Meetings with local realities with the aim of activating new opportunities
- Exhibition/presentation event at the end of the residency
In exchange for this support, the guests of the residency commit to:
- Respecting the rules of the residency and the contractual rules;
- Having a respectful behaviour towards the hosting structure, the environment and the civil cohabitation principles;
- Donating one of the works produced in the Tenuta during the residency period;
- Interacting with local communities through workshops, meetings, conferences and other activities established according to the project and agreed with the Directorate.
Each artist will be required to:
▪ Pay a € 200,00 security deposit which will be refunded at the end of the residency, in case no damage is reported;
▪ Provide a disclaimer reporting the amount received as expense account;
▪ Provide a consent form for Bridge Art to release pictures and/or texts produced by the artists during their residency.