click on the bottom for downloads in pdf
Noto, July 29th 2019
CALL FOR RESIDENCY @TENUTA LA FAVOLA NOTO ITALY 2019 -2020
BRIDGE ART//CONTEMPORARY VISIONS, a project patronised by the Municipality of Noto and in partnership with Gestalt Institute H.C.C. Italy and with Eastern Mediterranean University Consortium C.U.M.O., issues a single call with the aim of assigning the 2019 - 2020 artistic full(Y)_grounding residency, which will take place in Noto - Siracusa, at Tenuta La Favola.
The residency will take place during the following periods: - full(Y)_grounding 13th January - 16th February 2020
· Open Call: 29th July 2019
· Deadline for submitting applications: 30th September 30th 2019
· Finalist proclamation: October 15th 2019
· Winners proclamation: the second week of November 2019 at Rome in an institutional location.
Artists and curators are invited to send a contemporary art project in consonance with the topic: The Invisible Theatre of hospitality
Bridge Art residencies take place in Noto, UNESCO World-Heritage site, at Tenuta La Favola, a zero environmental impact wine-producing holding, which for years has been on the cutting edge of organic production techniques. Residencies are part of a wider art project aiming to create a hotbed and laboratory of artistic experimentation on the most recent researches of the contemporary, in a site concerned with environmental issues and sustainability in order to create, not just metaphorically, a multicultural platform which turns into a bridge between foreign and Italian realities. The selected artists will be able to meet, explore, contaminate, find one another and become a community, absorbing the influences of the place and fostering a creative path. This path opens and is opened to new considerations, proposals and influences, to exchange and integration, to the continuous and profitable renewal of ideas that can be at the same time an opportunity for growth and human, artistic and economic development.
BRIDGE ART residencies aim to:
1. promote and incentivize national and international exchanges for artists and curators
2. facilitate the contacts of residential artists with the territorial realities (schools, institutes, universities, associations, authorities, etc.) in order to activate cultural contaminations and new opportunities and, at the same time, to open the host communities to the shared knowledge and fruition of contemporary art
3. offer a place for work, research and observation
4. put into contact artists and curators from different cultural origins, with the aim of increasing the occasions of dialogue and experience exchanges
Residences will take place at Casetta degli Artisti, inside one of the experimental organic fields of Tenuta La Favola, in the southernmost part of Sicily. The Casetta is an ancient rock millstone house (a place for processing the grapes in order to turn them into must), entirely recovered by maintaining the original structure made of stone walls, wooden roofs, Sicilian terracotta floor and walls painted with natural pigments. The structure of about 50 sq. m. consists of a room with a living corner equipped with two single beds and a double bed, a separated kitchen and a toilet. Some work places have been set outside.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE SELECTED ARTISTS
The project has to be submitted by a) curators who will indicate the participant artists; b) self-application of artists working both individually or in team, who will indicate the possible curator Admission criteria There are not age, nationality, ethnical or religious restrictions. The fully_grounding residency 2019 is intended to accommodate 2 artists of different nationalities.
The applicants admitted to the residencies will be selected according to the following criteria:
a) Artistic career
b) Valorisation of the multicultural presence in the project
c) Quality of the project proposal
d) Coherence of the project with the topic and the principles of the residence
e) Ability to relate with the local contexts.
Bridge Art reserves the opportunity to invite guest, artists and curators to take part into meetings, talks, debates and lectures. If necessary - for foreign guests - Bridge Art can write an invitation letter to support the selected residents for obtaining specific funds.
The selection will take into account only those participants who have taken part in the open call. For the evaluation the quality and originality of the project will be especially took into consideration. A panel of judges will assess the selected projects. This panel, chaired by Salvatore Cavallo, President of the C.U.M.O., Noto and by Bridge Art Directorate (Valeria Valenza, Director and Lori Adragna, Artistic director), is renewed annually and will be made up by some members of the Bridge Art Scientific Committee and other experts in the various fields of arts and culture.
Presidents and organisational board
• Antonio Arévalo Poet, critic and curator of contemporary art, has been cultural affairs of the Embassy of Chile in Italy (Rome)
• Angela Basile Psychologist, teacher of the Institute of Gestalt - H.C.C.- Italy (Syracuse / Palermo)
• Filadelfio Brogna Agronomist and Vendicari Nature Reserve Director (Syracuse)
• Cristina Dinello Cobianchi President and project manager of the independent Cultural Association AlbumArte, creator of the AlbumArte project residencies
• Stefano Ferrari - Professor of psychology of art DAMS and of the visual arts department of the Alma Mater Studiorum - University of Bologna (Parma / Bologna)
Pietro Fortuna Artist (Rome
• Helia Hamedani -
• Artist, cultural Responsible of the IILA, Italian-Latin American Institute
Professor of Sociology of Change, Creativity and Art, Sapienza, University of Rome
• Art critic and journalist, Artribune's management staff (Rome)
• Artist, co-founder and creator of RAVE East Village Artist Residency (Udine)
The Invisible Theatre of hospitality
The contemporary situations of border crossings due to the so called ‘globalization’, to phisiological emigrations, to refugees movements, if not to actual ethnical deportations, lead us to think about the state of fact of western democracies and the hospitality policies. The subsequent crisis of identity, believes, economies, life stiles…require us to rethink the foundations of our cohabitation.
Therefore, paraphrasing the decostructionist strategy of the philosopher Jacques Derrida, we can reshape the contours of a coexistence geography, in order to rediscuss that special relationship that connect us to the world, intended not as I construction, but on the contrary, as something that meet the man, surprising him with its alterity.
Opening to hospitality in order to establish the meeting with the world, is the ethic culture itself and not any other ethic, because it concern the ethos, that is ‘home, being oneself in one’s own home, the way of being there, of relating to the others’*.
The other is constantly contaminating us and makes indistinct the borders and the barriers that the unconscious build in order to protect our identity. Only by deconstructing one’s I, accepting to become hostage in the magic moment of encounter, the genesis of the subject, of the surviving, of the tradition is realized. In fact, if the guest (paradoxically the latin word hostis unites in the linguistic root who is the guest and who is the enemy) enters a unknown world which doesn’t belong to him, the one who hosts must, for the universal law of hospitality, welcoming the other and making him feel as in his own house. This elaboration, defined by the philosopher as the invisible theatre of hospitality, presents some analogies with the artistic execution: by it it’s possible to open passages making see what is coming after the complection of our era.
By continuously asking oneself things on oneself, on one’s alterity and on one’s future, it’s the foundation of "democracy to come" is played out, that the philosopher speaks about. Vision of a politics perhaps ‘impossible’, but bearer of hope, which can prefigure the ‘living together’ of being of any kind, species, gendre, where they aren’t still defined by their condition of ‘juridical’ subjects. process of*
Lori Adragna e Valeria Valenza
* Jacques Derrida, Cosmopolites de tous les pays, encore un effort !, Editions Galilée Paris 1994
** Giovanna Borradori, Philosophy in a Time of Terror, Dialogues with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida, Chicago University Press, 2003.
RULE FOR PARTECIPATION
The participation to the selection process is free.
Each applicant has to present the following documents:
1. Application form duly filled and signed
2. Photocopy of a valid identity document
3. A pdf file of around 1800 characters filled out as follows:
A) Text describing the project which the artist intends to realize during the residency period
B) A short description of the work that the candidate intends to leave at Tenuta la Favola and that will become part of the museum park as Bridge Art Heritage
C) Images of the artistic work (2/4 images, 2MB at most)
D) CV and possibly links to a website (1 page at most)
Applications related to residencies have to be submitted not later than the terms established in the call. The material mentioned above has to be send by email to the address firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the residence in the object.
PROJECTS MUST BE PRESENTED IN A SINGLE DOCUMENT IN PDF FORMAT IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO SEND MATERIAL THROUGH WETRANSFER
Casetta degli Artisti will be at disposal to the residency from
13th January - 16th February 2020
The residency will lead the artists through expeditions into the vast environmental, cultural, historical and archaeological patrimony of the area of Siracusa and Ragusa, accompanied by researches on field and shared observations. Meetings and confrontation paths between artists and experts of various sectors (archaeologists, curators, journalists, writers, historians, biodiversity experts, local artists, etc.) will be fostered.
Guests from the residency full(Y) grounding are granted with:
· Accommodation at Casetta degli Artisti
· Use of car
· Outdoor spaces for creative experiences integrated with the natural environment
· Wide spreading of the results of the residencies through both printed material and the Internet (web site, social networks and periodicals of the sector).
· Meetings with local realities with the aim of activating new opportunities
· Exhibition/presentation event at the end of the residency
In exchange for this support, the guests of the residency commit to:
· Respecting the rules of the residency and the contractual rules
· Having a respectful behaviour towards the hosting structure, the environment and the civil cohabitation principles
· Donating one of the works produced in the Tenuta during the residency period
· Interacting with local communities through workshops, meetings, conferences and other activities established according to the project and agreed with the Directorate
Each artist will be required to:
· Pay 100,00 security deposit which will be refunded at the end of the residency, in case no damage is reported
· Provide a disclaimer reporting the amount received as expense account
· Provide a consent form for Bridge Art to release pictures and/or texts produced by the artists during their residency
NB The winning of the residence involves the automatic registration of the artist to the association as an ordinary member